Happy Pi Day everyone!
This year is extra special, since it’s 3/14/15! Some have called it the “Ultimate Pi Day”, or the “Pi Day of a Lifetime” or the “PiPocalypse” (although I may be mixing that last one up with the snowstorm of a few years ago).
I wish you all an extra-wonderful ten-digits-of-pi-moment at fifty-three and a half seconds past the twenty-sixth minute of the nine o’clock hour this evening, or 3/14/15 9:26:53.5.
On this pi day, I encourage you to celebrate pi, and math, and the amazing things you can do with both! From last year, here are:
MY TOP PI WAYS TO CELEBRATE PI DAY
1. Share pi (and pie) with friends
2. Read and learn more about pi
3. Contemplate the wonder of the universe and mathematics’ role within it
.14159…. Shout “Happy Pi Day!” and/or “Happy Pi Moment” at the top of your lungs when the appropriate time occurs
Some awesome pi-related things to check out this year:
- A cool pi day sudoku
- How to estimate pi by weighing a circle [video]
- “Why Pi Matters” by Stephen Strogatz
- This argument of pi vs. the Pythagorean Theorem
- An article on this pi day by Borwein & Bailey, famous pi mathematicians
- This video making fun of our obsession with pi, tau, e, golden ratio, and other *amazing* numbers – it might take a little math knowledge to get the joke but it’s hilarious once you do
Hope you have a great pi day, and many more!
– Nick the Pi Guy