This week teachers headed into school to prepare for next week and students’ return. This will be my twelfth year!
My teaching this year will include more computer science than ever before:
- AP Computer Science Principles (full year)
- AP Computer Science A (full year)
- Foundations of Computer Science (spring)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing (fall)
- Precalculus independent study (fall, three students, three separate periods)
I’ll also be working with our new engineering teacher and our librarian+new-computer-science-teacher to help them with their lessons, and collaborating with two geometry teachers around standards-based-grading.
Extracurricular activities and competitions:
- Coding Club (app development, cybersecurity, & more)
- Women’s Transportation Seminar’s “Transportation You!” Mentoring Program
- TRAC bridge builder competition
- CyberPatriot competition
- STEM Competition
- possible (in my mind, I want to do each of these this year): Cyber Movie Mondays, Saturday AP & PLTW study groups, Girls Who Code club
- probably several others…
Ongoing projects that will occupy some of my time this year include:
- Comp Hydro (teaching hydrology and flooding through computational simulations & modeling, in partnership with the Baltimore Ecosystem Study)
- MyDesign (engineering design process app and learning management system, in partnership with NSF & the University of Maryland)
- Internet of Things project to measure air quality and other environmental factors in schools (in partnership with Cool Green Schools, Johns Hopkins University, and Morgan State University)
- Continuing work toward my Master’s Degree in Computer Science (taking “Artificial Intelligence ” course this semester)
- Baltimore City Engineering Alliance, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) we created to provide opportunities to Baltimore City students to further their engineering education, and for which I am treasurer
School starts for students on Tuesday, after Labor Day for the first time in my twelve years here teaching in Baltimore. Wish us luck!