To continue with my post from 12/4, a few more emails for Computer Science Education Week 2017!
Thu 12/7: Hour of Code week almost over!
Hi Patterson peeps,
Just a reminder that we are nearing the end of Computer Science Education Week. I hope you have all had the chance to try out one of the awesome lessons yourself and with your classes (or have plans to do so today or tomorrow!).
I leave you with this:
Fri 12/8: Last push – Hour of Code!
As Computer Science Education Week draws to a close this weekend, let me leave you with three resources, two facts, and one reminder:
- A new video from code.org in which basketball star Stephen Curry talks about coding and persistence
- A video produced last year, called “Computer Science is Changing Everything”, that really hits home that CS is found in every field, from agriculture to medicine to dance
- If you’re not able to do a whole hour of code, check out this five-minutes-of-code activity in which you can design your own snowflake and holiday card (with thanks to Mr. Callahan)
- CS Education Week was founded in honor of Admiral Grace Hopper, one of the pioneers of computer science, whose birthday is tomorrow 12/9 (if alive, she would be 111 years old tomorrow, which is sort-of a binary age!)
- Coding is for everyone, in the same way writing is for everyone, a way “to organize, express, and share ideas in new ways, in a new medium” (okay, maybe that’s an opinion and not a fact, but seriously, check out this interview with Mitch Resnick from MIT, it may change the way you think about coding).Reminder:
- Don’t forget to send me student names and have your students who do the Hour of Code complete the survey!Happy holidays, and happy coding!Nick Yates
Finally, here’s a photo of my colleagues and I encouraging everyone to “Code Like a Girl”: